Product of Prison (POP) is a non-profit organization founded in 2011 and working to rehabilitate prisoners in Uganda by providing practical, income-generating skills which lead to self-sufficiency and prevent reoffending.
POP´s vision is a prison service in which the human rights of prisoners are respected, prisoners are treated in a humane and compassionate manner and their time in detention is used to prepare them for life outside of prison.
• Stronger focus on rehabilitation and reintegration.
• Vocational skills, job skills and work experience for prisoners to prepare them for re-entry into the community after release.
• More financial means for (former) prisoners to improve their well-being in prison, support their families and to facilitate their reintegration.
• Stronger self-esteem and self-confidence for prisoners.
• Better relationship between prisoners and society.
• More awareness of the plight of prisoners in developing countries and recognition of their potential.
By acquiring professional skills, knowledge, experience and funds during their time in prison, prisoners are better equipped to re-enter society and to avoid recidivism after release. POP aspires to empower prisoners, to restore a sense of humanity and to build self-esteem and self-confidence.
Through the sale of products made by prisoners, POP wants to raise awareness of the lives of prisoners in developing countries, to strengthen prisoners´ connection with society and, most importantly, to provide prisoners with the means to improve their time in prison and to facilitate their reintegration.
Vocational skill building:
• Bead club on death row in Luzira Upper Prison;
• Career skills project in the prisons of Greater Kampala;
• Paper recycling and screen printing project in Murchison Bay Prison;
• Tailoring project in Gulu Women Prison.
• Breakdance classes in Luzira Upper Prison in partnership with Breakdance Project Uganda (BPU);
• A writing project in all the prisons of Greater Kampala, Arua, Gulu,Jinja, Lira and Nakasongola to provide prisoners with writing skills and to give them the opportunity to write stories for the POP website and our Prison Wall-Newspaper.
• A pen pal project between prisoners in Luzira Upper Prison and volunteers in the Netherlands and other countries;
• Sports tournaments in Gulu Main and Gulu Women Prison.
Celesta Duivenvoorde is the Founding Director of Product of Prison (POP).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.